Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The World Journal Culture Center & Sogo Tofu


Cupertino, CA

After skipping breakfast, I found myself ravenous.... something that I notice has been happening more and more in my mad rush to blog the free world.

In any event, when time is of the essence, you don't want to spend a fortune, and you're in the mood for a cultural adventure, head to Cupertino.

Check it out.

Sogo Tofu offers a combination lunch platter - 3 items plus noodles of your choice, for $5.98. Just to give you an idea of how much food we're talking about, I got three meals out of it, and I still have more!

Better still, it's all vegetarian.

Moving onto the World Journal Culture Center next door, I went over to the Chinese buffet, just to see what they had, and found myself ordering 4 tea-smoked eggs. I simply cannot resist the things. They are delicately spicy, a little salty, and drenched in tea. Wonderful.
Seeing as they offer Pearl Tea here, I couldn't help leaving with a Kumquat tea for me & a Jasmine for my SO. I would have picked up a package of red bean paste dumplings, but thank God, they were all out.

The funniest part of my trip to these places is the looks I get. I'm about as white bread as they get, and when I saunter into the Tofu place, the other customers (not the owners, who know me) look at me like "Are you sure you're in the right place, lady?" Except that they are wondering that in Chinese. ;-) For some reason, being a Feng Shui consultant, I have this weird inherent need to soak myself in Chinese culture.

Meanwhile, while you're drinking your pearl tea, read all about the legend of the Feng Shui Money Frog....

No comments: